NOLS Wilderness First Aid Course
June 8-9, 2022
*YMCA or ACA-accredited Camp Staff receive $25 discount
Meals and Lodging Options Available!
Optional CPR Add-on provided by American Red Cross: $50 – To be held on June 10
This fast paced and hands-on, two day course covers a wide variety of wilderness medicine topics for people who work in or enjoy the outdoors.
Whether spending time in the backcountry is your passion or profession, you should never have to ask, “What do I do now?” Prepare for the unexpected with this fun, hands-on introduction to wilderness medicine.
This course is great for people of all experience levels and is best suited for those who recreate outdoors where EMS response can be expected in a timely manner (fewer than eight hours). You’ll learn the Patient Assessment System, how to provide effective first aid treatments for injuries and illnesses common in the outdoors, and how to make appropriate evacuation decisions.
You’ll learn both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather, so come prepared for wet, muddy, cold or hot environments!
NOLS Wilderness Medicine’s courses are approved by such organizations as the American Camping Association, Boy Scouts of America, the United States Coast Guard, and other state and federal agencies.
Note: Upon successful course completion, you will earn the following NOLS Wilderness Medicine certifications: Wilderness First Aid. This course does not include CPR certification. This course can be used to recertifiy a NOLS Wilderness First Responder certification (please contact NOLS for more info).
Meals and Lodging Options:
Camp Olson YMCA is a youth summer camp, and thus we have lots of room to host you if you need a place to stay during your course! For an additional $100, you can receive 2 days/nights of onsite lodging accommodations AND meals! A la carte also available if you only desire meals or lodging. If you need to arrive early or stay late, let us know.
- Classroom lectures and demonstrations are combined with realistic scenarios where mock patients will challenge you to integrate your learning. At the end of the course, you’ll have the knowledge, skills and ability to make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- The 16-hour Wilderness First Aid course includes many advanced topics that other programs leave out such as reduction of dislocations and epinephrine administration.
- Class will run from 8am to 5pm each day (Thursday and Friday), with approximately 1 hour for lunch.
- An optional CPR course will be provided on Saturday morning, instructed by a member of Camp Olson YMCA for an additional fee (American Red Cross certification).
- Students must be at least 16 years of age. 16 and 17 year-olds must have proof of parent consent
- 30 days or more prior to the course start date – Students may cancel the course and will receive a refund less a $15 transaction fee
- 14-30 days prior to the course start date – Student may cancel the course and will receive a refund less a $50 cancellation fee.
- Less than 14 days prior to the course start date – No refunds will be given for cancellations less than two weeks prior to the course start date.