With so many programs to choose from it can be difficult to know what is best for your camper. This can be particularly challenging for the camper who wants to be on staff one day. There is no right way to go through your camp experience. We encourage every camper to do what feels right! Below we provide a guide that can help you to plan your camp future.
Camper ages 0-6
- Family Camp is a great way to introduce your child to camp.
Camper age 7
- Voyageur Short week Camp provides your child the opportunity to try camp without having to be away from their family for a whole week. This program focuses on in-camp activities.
Camper age 8-9
- Pathfinder camp is the first experience at camp for many. It gives a camper the full camp experience while providing extra supervision to ensure their comfort.
Camper age 9-10
- Discovery Camp serves the majority of Camp Olson campers. It allows campers to experience all that camp has to offer. It provides them the independence that makes the camp experience so special.
Camper age 11-12
- Specialty Camps allow campers to chose from Sailing or Riding, or better yet, do one year of each! These programs provide campers the opportunity to go more in depth with our activities and gain skills for a lifelong hobby.
- Spend two weeks at camp! By this age most campers are ready for an extended camp stay, especially if this is their 3rd or 4th summer. You can choose to spend two weeks in specialty camp or one week as a specialty camper and one as a discovery camper.
Camper age 13
- LIT I. We are known for our excellent Leadership programs. These programs remain extremely popular and always fill quickly. The LIT program provides the opportunity for campers to bond closely as a group while having positive experiences working with the opposite gender.
Camper age 14
- Leader In Training II Canoeing. After the LIT I program and a four day canoe trip campers are ready to take their experience to the next level. This is a coed trip to the BWCA where campers work hand in hand with our expert guides while experiencing the wilderness.
Camper age 15
- Leader In Training II Backpacking. This trip takes campers to the remote island of Isle Royale where they get to hike across the beautiful and historic landscape. This trip is also coed and help provide campers with the skills needed before returning as a CIT.
Camper age 16
- Counselor In Training. The CIT program is the pinnacle of the Camp Olson camper experience. This program was created for those who know they want to one day be on staff. It helps to ease the transition by providing independence and guidance.
- Assistant Counselor. Age 17 marks the first that a person is eligible to work at Camp Olson. You will be hard pressed to ever find a more rewarding job.
- Counselor. Being an Assistant Counselor only provides a taste of what it means to change the life of the child. Your second summer is sure to prove even more rewarding than the first.
- Leadership camp Leader, Program Staff, Counselor, or Management Staff. This is where paths begin to diverge greatly and it’s hard to settle on any one way. Once you’re to this point you’ll know what feels right for you!
- Family Camp! Whether you’ve started a family on your own or you can talk your parents into returning. Don’t forget there is always a camp experience out there waiting for you. Once you’ve attended, you’ll always be part of the Camp Olson Family!