The mission of Camp Olson YMCA is to “Share the Spirit of the Northwoods”. As a YMCA summer camp we are committed to the YMCA core mission of Youth Development, Health Living and Social Responsibility.
Equal Participation for All
Camp Olson welcomes children and teenagers who are willing and able to display positive behavior as they participate in the entire camp program, each day. Campers are expected to genuinely respect their peers and all camp employees. Campers must be able to behave in a way that promotes kindness, the use of good manners, and be considerate towards other’s wants and needs (not just his/her own). It is not acceptable in our community to make fun of others, bully, or attempt to exclude people. Within the cabin group, campers are expected to practice respect, cooperating, and compromising. Campers must also be able to handle themselves appropriately if/when immediate counselor supervision is not realistically possible. The camp “rules” must be supported and followed at all times by every camper. For the protection of every child’s interest, we reserve the right to deny or cancel the enrollment of any child if/when it is determined the child cannot behave effectively within the camp community.
The Camp Olson community will be an environment that is free from discrimination and devoid of violence, intimidation, and/or harassment based on race, creed, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Further, we will strive to be a place that embraces and celebrates diversity in all aspects of humanity. We will not tolerate emotional or physical abuse or the threat of abuse. Any behavior which affects a child’s ability to participate, or seriously disrupts our program, may require dismissal. For the protection of every child’s interest, we reserve the right to immediately dismiss any camper, without refund. In all cases, parents will be notified of our decision and will be responsible for all travel expenses.
- We serve children from around the world. In 2016 80% of our campers were from Minnesota 15% other states and 5% international
- We are committed to the physical and emotional well-being of our campers
- We provide an overall 1:4 Staff-to-Camper ratio
- Full-time professional staff live on-site
- Registered Nurse lives on-site during summer programs and is available 24 hours a day for our campers and staff
- Our top-notch food service provides a variety of nutritious and delicious meals that fuel the fun at camp
- We are committed to leadership development in our youth
- Founded in 1954 after a gift of property from E.O. and Bella Olson
- 1250 Acres of forests, lakes and fields with shoreline on 5 lakes, three of which are private to Camp Olson
- A typical summer runs 8 weeks of youth camp followed by 2 weeks of Family Camp
- Summer Programming includes: Horseback Riding, Sailing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Nature Study, Arts & Crafts, Archery, Riflery, Swimming, Fishing, Hiking, Mountain Biking and so much more!
- 4 Year-round staff are supported by 65 Summer Staff from June-August
- Accredited by the American Camping Association
- 501(c)3 non-profit organization
- Independently chartered YMCA
- Scholarship Assistance is available and we make every effort to ensure that every child who wants to attend Camp Olson can do so regardless of financial limitations.
- Camp is FUN! We strive each day to make Camp Olson an active, life-learning experience for all our campers and staff